March 25, 2009

Overwhelmed...

That's basically what I am feeling right now.

Overwhelmed with gratitude that I have been given this unbelievable opportunity to teach, serve, and learn in this quaint little community. La Manzanilla is a hidden treasure. Located along the Pacific coastline between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo, this small town consists of friendly locals and intriguing retirees (mainly from the US and Canada) that have stumbled upon this charming village. Did I mention the beautiful beaches and the mangrove filled with numerous crocodiles? It's quite a sight...

Overwhelmed with uncertainty as I begin to settle in and attempt to grasp my role here. It can be difficult and frustrating at times learning the language and understanding the way of life here. Realizing most of the frustration stems from unfamiliarity and being forced out of my comfort zone. With that is a feeling of hope and excitement knowing one day soon I will be able to comprehend and speak Spanish with much greater ease.

I arrived in La Manzanilla a week ago and was given a few days to relax and familiarize myself with the community. I have begun training and shadowing the current teachers and have met most of the students. (I will save my interesting school experiences for another post...)

Below are a few pictures to give you a glimpse of my new home.


The beautiful view from my balcony




My cute little apartment



Crocodiles in the mangrove



Tenacatita Bay


Thank you for all your prayers. I will write more when I have time and am able to gather my thoughts :)

1 comment:

Ash said...

Shanna! It is so gorgeous there! I am so jealous that you get to immerse yourself in such beauty daily. How amazing! Keep us updated through your blog. God will use you in great ways!!!