Does anyone remember the segment called "In the Year 20XX" that Conan and his trusty sidekick Andy would do, describing ridiculous and unbelievable events that would happen in years to come? Such a goofy segment, with funny voices and flashlights held to their faces. Wow, I am going to miss him. Anyway, I am getting sidetracked...
January is nearly over and I am just now getting around to writing my thoughts on everything that happened in 2009. I'm not off to a very good start for the year, huh? However I feel I must take some time to reflect on all that last year encompassed as a reminder of God's goodness, love, and faithfulness.
Looking back, I still can't believe all the crazy happenings that 2009 offered, much like the events that Conan would describe in his little skits. Never would I have thought that "In the Year 2009" (or any year for that matter) I would experience such outrageous circumstances and opportunities in my life! It was a year of new beginnings, lessons, firsts, lasts, loss, realizations, tears, excitement...the list could go on forever. In fact, below is a list of some of the most memorable and significant events that took place in 2009
- God reminded me daily, through His creation, how great He is and how small I am
- I lived in another country
- I realized my family is absolutely amazing
- I experienced my first of many (small) earthquakes
- New dreams were created
- I learned to dramatically downsize my life
- I got "swine-flued"
- Many dear friendships were lost due to miles of separation
- Lifelong friendships were formed with people from all across the world
- I discovered that Windex kills just about anything (insects and spiders included)
- Loved ones went to be with Jesus
- I have a whole new appreciation for nature
- I braced for a terrible hurricane that fortunately never appeared
- I am learning Spanish (it will forever be an ongoing project)
- Sweet kiddos stole my heart on a regular basis
- I cried alot, but laughed more
- My ridiculous passion for Scrabble was reignited
- I watched WWF wrestling and Mexican Novelas...and enjoyed them
- I came to the realization that 6th graders are mean no matter how old you are
- I saw things my eyes couldn't believe
Reflecting on all the excitement that 2009 brought, the Lord's protection and guidance are so obvious to me. He is good. Through the laughter, tears, fears, frustrations, joy, doubts, and smiles He constantly reminded me of how much He loves me. 2009 was proof that His plans for my life are beyond my wildest imagination. As a new year begins, I am overwhelmed with excitement of what He has in store for me and the lessons I will learn!
Happy (late) New Year!!