March 18, 2010

Meet the Moodies



As thoughts of my departure swirl through my head, numerous people come to mind that made such a huge difference in my life this past year. Many of them Mexicans. Many are not.

I didn't realize when coming to La Manzanilla, just how many Americans, Canadians, and other foreigners visited and lived in this area of the world I like to call "paradise". The beauty, charm, and perfect weather draws people from all over. I have had the pleasure of getting to know some of the most fascinating individuals from all corners of the earth.

I struggle to find words to describe two special Canadians that I have come to know fondly over the course of the year. In fact, like it or not, they are now known as my adopted parents. And of course, it's nothing short of a "God-thing" of how I even met them. Long story short, it had to do with a flood in the US, emergency departure by the pastor and his wife, and two willing hearts.

Lou and Wynn Moodie are quite spectacular. I have never met two people that are so kind, generous, and caring. I have learned more about geography, history, and adventure from these two than I did in all my years in the classroom.

Lou is a handy-man and can fix nearly anything. Seriously, I am convinced he is related to MacGyver. I love how he treats people and takes care of his beautiful wife. Wynn is an amazing cook, sings beautifully, and loves owls (like me!). She has such a sweet, servant heart.

They are true examples of Christ, always putting other's needs before their own and loving people for who they truly are. I am grateful to have such an amazing example of what marriage looks like and to hear about all their life experiences. They have been so supportive throughout this chapter of my life and have encouraged me to keep learning, growing and making a difference as I prepare for what is next.

I am humbled that the Lord allowed me the opportunity to spend a year in Mexico, and knowing them has just been icing on the cake. Proof again, that He meets my EVERY need.

"...a sweet friendship refreshes the soul." Psalm 27:9b

No comments: